Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Amsterdam

It poured our first day in Amsterdam. We waited in line for the Anne Frank museum in ponchos, clinging to our umbrellas. It was definitely worth the wait! Words cannot describe what it was like to tour the house that Anne Frank hid in for two years with her family. We weren't allowed to take photos inside, but if you're interested you can view the annex in 3-D here. After following the tour through the former Opekta offices, we walked through the secret entrance behind the bookcase. As I wandered through the annex, memories from The Diary of Anne Frank, slowly became more of a reality. The experience was emotional, chilling, and humbling. I was touched the first time I read her diary when I was 13, about the same age Anne was when she wrote it. After the tour, I purchased numerous books and re-read the famous diary. After reading it again as an adult, I am in awe of her writing style, wisdom, strength, but most of all her legacy to humankind. What an inspiration!

It was Anne's father's express wish that the secret annexe should be more than a museum or memorial.

“I think it is not only important that people go to the Anne Frank House to see the secret annexe, but also that they are helped to realize that people are also persecuted today because of their race, religion or political convictions.”

Otto Frank, 3 August 1970


"I hope Anne's book will have an effect on the rest of your life so that insofar as it is possible in your own circumstances, you will work for unity and peace." -Otto Frank

Later, we took a canal boat tour. I was impressed with all the canals, what a way to get around town! I have never seen so many bicycles in all my life, and the Dutch are worse riding their bikes than the Turks or Italians are behind the wheel! We saw a few "coffeehouses" with lots of smoking going on and a glimpse of the Red Light District ;) . The Van Gogh museum was sensational! Lastly, we went to Zaanse Schans to see windmills, a wooden shoe factory, and a dutch cheese farm.

*You may want to close the "Pets" advertisement below to view the slide-show captions. Or you can click on the slide-show to make it larger.



No comments: